May 13, 2011

making wishes

For the past year I have been working on the final piece for my degree. 
It is inspired by my childhood spent in Japan, influenced by the Tanabata Festival which is held every summer. One of the things I love about this festival is the tradition of people writing their wishes onto pieces of paper and tying them onto tree branches, sending their wishes out into the universe and hoping they will come true. I have focused on the idea of wishing and this is the basis for my project. That being said, I have been collecting wishes here on the blog, and really need a few more to make the piece really great. The wishes will be used in an art installation which I will exhibit in London at the New Designers show at the end of June. Of course, no names or information will be used. It is about the content of the wishes, what is important to people and the magic that comes from making a wish. Many people have chosen to post their wishes anonymously which is totally fine, I feel like it makes it all the more mysterious and magical! If you would like to be a part of this installation, or know of anyone else who may have a wish they would like to make, please take part. 
The participation of people from all over the world is what makes this project so dear to me.
(The first two photos are my work in the making process and the rest are my inspiration from the Tanabata Festival)






If you would like to see what other people have wished for, the original post can be seen here.
Thank you!

No comments: